One cannot have enough brownie recipes right. So here is another one that is simple and customizable! Add walnuts, other nuts or seeds. Add some fresh cranberries or a nut butter swirl on top before baking. Add crushed peppermint candy cane + peppermint extract instead of vanilla, or add candied ginger + gingerbread spices for holiday brownies and more.
Fudgy and fabulous. Make these this Sunday! For gluten-free options, see the list of brownies below.
More brownies from the blog
- Vegan Pumpkin Brownies
- Gluten-free Brownies and Brownie Mix. GF
- Vegan Almond Butter Blondies with Chocolate Chips
- Vegan Brownie Mix in a Jar. Single Serve Brownie too. Vegan…
- Coconut Flour Brownies GF
Make the brownie batter and press it into a lined brownie pan. Bake, cool and see it vanish.
Add other nuts, cranberries, crushed peppermint candy cane, candied ginger+ gingerbread spices for variation.
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp whole wheat pastry flour or whole wheat flour or Spelt flour
- 1 tbsp starch like arrowroot or cornstarch
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp maple
- ¼ cup water
- ⅓ to ½ cup vegan semi sweet chocolate
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp instant espresso/coffee
- 3 tbsp oil
- 3 Tbsp vegan mini chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, add all the dry ingredients and whisk really well. *Pulse the sugar and coconut sugar a few times in a blender to make a powder if needed and then mix in.
- Heat the maple and water in a pan or microwave until hot. Add the chocolate and mix until all the chocolate melts and is smooth. Add the vanilla, coffee and oil and mix in.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix to just about combined. It will be a stiff batter, stiffer as it gets cold. Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts or other additions.
- Drop the mixture onto a parchment lined or greased or well floured brownie pan. Spread the mixture evenly using a spatula if needed. I used greased hands to move and press for an even thickness. Sprinkle any toppings if you like like chopped walnuts, chocolate chips, crushed candy cane and press in.
- Bake for 22 to 24 minutes. Check with a toothpick about an inch from the corner. The toothpick should not come out liquid. Do not over bake.
- Cool for atleast 20 minutes if you can before moving them out of the dish. Slice and serve.